Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Prep for Less: Tips & Tricks for Saving Money

I've decided to start a new series on my blog titled "Prep for Less." I wouldn't say I'm the most preppy person in the world but I do love the style and have preppy ascents to my outfits. 



When I think preppy I think of the ultimate three: Vineyard Vines, Lilly Pulitzer, and J. Crew.  I know first hand how much these places can drain your bank account. Here a list of my top 10 tips and tricked I've learned over the years when it comes to saving money shopping: 

1. Invest in the basics rather than fashion and trendy items! Blog post coming soon about what I consider prep basics & essentials!

2. Wait for sales! Try to eliminate paying full price for anything. Lilly Pulitzer offers a sale twice a year, Vineyard Vines offers sales more often than Lilly -especially on their sale items, and J. Crew is always offering different sales. These sales are perfect for scoring killer deals and saving money! Who doesn't love percentages off especially when its 40% off or more?

3. Everything doesn't need to be brand name! There are plenty of places other than J. Crew that make similar clothing for a fraction of the price. Blog post coming soon about stores to shop in order to save money!

4. Shop the sale section! Just because it's the sale section doesn't mean you can't find amazing and trendy clothes and accessories. There's always so many options online in sale sections that you may not find in stores! Vineyard Vines usually offers a larger sale section online than in stores. Check Lilly Pulitzer specialty stores for sale sections that Lilly Pulitzer doesn't offer online. 

5. Take advantage of student discounts! Student discounts are an easy way to save money on every purchase in store. Vineyard Vines offer 15% in store student discount and J. Crew & J. Crew Factory offer 15% in store discount for students and teachers with an ID.

6. Don't pay for shipping unless necessary. If you know a store often offers free shipping then wait until then, it's an easy way to save money.

7. Buy neutrals instead of a bunch of colors when investing. For example instead of buying a Kendra Scott necklace in a bright color, buy a more neutral color that is versatile and can be worn with many outfits.

8. If you can fit in kid sizes take advantage of it! If you are around the size extra small or small, you will most likely fit in a kids extra large in Vineyard Vines tshirts! Instead of spending $42-$48, it'll only be $26.50-$29.50. An easy way to save money especially since Vineyard Vines often sells the exact same designs in kids sizing!

9. Buy used! This may seem like a weird idea, but you can find a lot of good finds on Poshmark when it comes to Lilly Pulitzer! You'll be able to get past patterns and styles for a fraction of the price. Wash it and you'll  be good to go! Although I've never bought from Poshmark, I have bought a Lilly dress used!  was able to buy a Lilly dress for $18 from a store in my area where you can sell your old clothes! I couldn't believe it when I saw it and it was my size, I don't think I'll ever be able to beat that deal. 

10. Shop at outlet stores! The stuff will still be trendy and in style but for a fraction of the price! My blog post about stores to shop will include my favorite outlet stores!


Thanks for Reading!
Let me know your tips and tricks for saving money!

Check out all my social media accounts:
tumblr: little-miss-american.tumblr.com
instagram: https://instagram.com/sam_chmiel/
vsco: http://samchmiel.vsco.co/grid/1

No comments :

Post a Comment